Creating Video Content from home
Updated: Aug 13, 2020
We're all at home, wondering what to do with our time, some of us want to engage with our businesses in video formats, some of us are being asked to create video content. A friend of mine got a notice from his college that he had to shoot E-content to their students. They have to shoot video lectures assignments and quizzes. This may be new territory for many since most people buy a phone and that's it. They never bother investing phone tripods, or phone friendly mic let alone know where to shoot content (hint hint: window light). So I'm here to help.
These links are affiliate links, I may earn a percentage (at no cost to you) this goes to support my writing work, video and content creation online
Now given how advance most mobile phones have become, recording with your phone is perfectly ok. The tricky part is stabilising, audio and lighting which incase you need I'll add a list of Lights you could buy.
WHAT YOU NEED
More than technical knowledge, to create an audible and visually appealing video to get people to engage with your content, you need to start with a few essential items. Please note: These are all my personal recommendations from the products I use on a daily basis creating my content. Please feel free to use this as a guide so you can make an informed decision.
Stabilising Options: Keeping the camera still is very important when you're shooting video. Even a small jerk can spoil your content and in post production you cannot change too much.
LIGHT TRIPODS FOR MOBILE PHONES
1. KMNIC 3110 Portable and Foldable Tripod with Mobile Clip Holder Bracket with Mini Lavalier Lapel Microphone 3.5mm (with a free mic): ₹ 449.00
2. Mini Tripod Table Top Ispite® Portable Mini Tabletop Fold-able Tripod Stand Support Ball head Clip for Stand Mount, Selfie Support Tripod Tripod Kit for Mobile Phones and DSLR & Digital Cameras (Black, Supports Up to 500 g) ₹ 399.00 + 76.00 Delivery charge
BRACKETS: Brackets are what hold your phone and connect it to the tripod. There are simple brackets and brackets which help you keep audio and light in the same place. I I prefer the all rounder brackets because audio and light is the next most important elements in video creation.
1. THIS IS WHAT I USE ALMOST EVERYDAY: NEOHOOK Video Camera Cage Stabilizer Film Making Rig for All Smart Phones Video Rig Mobile Phone Holder Hand Grip Bracket Holder Stabilizer - Black Price: ₹ 999.00 I use it to record my videos, I even place it in a top angle position with my tripod and shoot food videos. I use this Rig for putting on the table when i'm podcasting as well. What's nice about this bracket is that it goes on a Tripod and gives you access to audio and led light in the same place.
Simple Bracket without Audio or LED: HUMBLE Universal Monopod Holder Clip for Mobile Camera Holder and Tripod Mount Holder- Black ₹ 149.00
YANTRALAY SCHOOL OF GADGETS L Shape Hot Shoes Tripod Mount Bracket Holder for Flash Light Camera Mini DV Camcorder Price: ₹ 605.00
Audio: Is very important, although there are many who don't think this is necessary. The quality of your sound is important because it gives the audience a stress free mode to get your message clearly. They aren't distracted by the ambience sound of your fan or the pressure cooker. Also getting a lapel mic with a long wire is wise because it gives you the freedom to move around.
This is the mic that I use, It took me a little time to buy it because it is an investment, but I cannot part with it now. 1. Rode VideoMicro Compact On-Camera Microphone with Rycote Lyre Shock Mount, Black Price: ₹ 5,099.00
3. If you're doing your recording at home and no where else and using your computer to record then Maono AU-A04 Condenser Microphone Kit (Black) is ideal ₹ 3,499.00
4. And for a more expensive Audio set up Audio-Technica AT2050 Multi-pattern Condenser Microphone ₹ 20,414.00 A very generous donor donated this mic to my studio and this is use for high end professional recordings.
5. I haven't used this but have heard very good things about the Zoom H1n Handy Recorder (Black) ₹ 6,790.00 But you need to have editing skills for this because you will need to sync the audio recorder files to your audio (which is easy for some, but not so easy for most people).
LIghting: I hardly use LED lights on a daily basis. The sun and the time we shoot is always a better and more natural way to shoot. The better option is to find a window light, make sure you're facing it and shoot. The camera (especially the phone) captures a more qualitative light with window light. But incase you live in a low light situation or you need to shoot in a dark place, I would say point the light to the ceiling so the light is more diffused (and not harsh) on your face. Test your look and composition in your camera before shooting. Also I would NEVER suggest anything except LED lights now. They are cooler (than the expensive bulb lights). Professional lights are hardly used even now — so invest in LED's that give you an option of turning white to golden.
Here's a list LED LIGHTS
2. This light clips into your mobile (its very basic) but it lights up the face very well I had two and both were stolen (they are THAT good!) JSTBUY LABEL JBY-SR36L Selfie Ring Light with 36 LED Bulbs, Flash Lamp Clip Ring Lights Fill-in Lighting Portable for Phone/Tablet/iPad/Laptop Camera (White) ₹ 395.00
3. Yongnuo_ YN300 Air Pro Led Video Light Price: 2,880.00
4. Ring Lights used to be very expensive, now they are much cheaper. SHYLOC 18 Inches Big LED Ring Light for Photo and Video with Tripod Stand Compatible with Camera and Smartphones Price: ₹ 2,199.00
With this information and the hardware in place, you are now ready to shoot your content. I have a course for professional content creators looking not just at the technical side of shooting but also the ideating side, scripting, storyboarding, video editing, music and uploading formats.
And I have a course for kids and level one filmmakers who want to learn the basics of Video Editing. email me at email@example.com to enrol. I'm giving a special 50% discount right now (till April 30th 2020). So this is the perfect time to make the most of this resource.
Feel free to email me and ask me any questions about the course. I'll be happy to address them, either directly or through a Youtube extended video series on Creating Video Content from home.
Editing from Mobile:
Android: FilmoraGo *best and Adobe Premier Clip
Mac: iMovie, Video Leap (my go to app)
PC: Window Movie Maker, Adobe Premier Pro
Mac: Final Cut Pro, iMovie